Sunday, November 29, 2009

Kicked out of my own kitchen

I feel like Marie Peron from Everybody Loves Raymond. Aaron is making omelets and I can't even dice a pepper or slice cheese. He has thrown me out to either walk or this. I chose this. I tend to like to start my walks before 10am especially being diabetic and not having eaten anything yet. Oh and correction it is not an omelet as I do not have an omelet pan it is a scramble. Either way, worth the wait. I might however run across to Parson's Garden just to soak in that beauty.

Aaron made this amazing recipe on Friday, and I am going to see if maybe he will make it for dinner tonight. It is in the end I think a fantastic form of individual serving veggie pizzas. The recipe started from Friends, Family and Food by Josephine Burns Odyssey, but of course we changed it a bit.

Out of Season Tomato Relish (Grand Central Bakery)

1/4 c. olive oil
8 oz diced white onion
8 oz diced leek
1/4 c. rehydrated sun dried tomato- pureed in food processor
28 oz can of diced tomatoes
3 T Balsamic vinegar
1 t Kosher Salt
2 T Brown sugar
1 1/2 cups grated Irish White Cheddar cheese

Saute onions until they begin tgo caramelize, turn down the heat and add the diced leeks. Saute until leaks are tender

Drain juice (save liquid) from the tomatoes, combine the saved liquid with pureed sun dried tomatoes.

Put in sugar and salt in pan with tomato juice and sundried tomatoes. Add balsamic vinegar. Use the tomato mixture to deglaze the onion saute pan. Turn up the heat and stir while the liquid evaporates.


While waiting for the liquid to evaporate, use a baguette or other crusty bread, slice, brush with olive oil and heat at 350 degrees for 6 minutes. Toast at 350

Back to the saute pan add the leaks/onions. Stir in.

Remove bread from oven, lay slices flat. Top bread with diced tomatoes, pureed tomato/leek mix and cheese.

Place in oven just until cheese melts.

I tried to add all of Aaron's tweeks and things that were not necessarily in the original recipe like where to add the sugar and salt. So good luck if it works you will want to eat it for the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment